Wednesday, October 31, 2007

False Expectations

The problem with good books that are adapted into movies is that if there is something somewhat lacking with the film, the inevitable question a person would have is "Is the book better?"

When that was asked about Stardust, I just deflected the question by saying, "I read the book for the words. I watched the movie for the visuals."

And from the trailer of the film, I was also asked before watching, "Please tell me he doesn't break up with his fiance to be with Claire Danes."

I was tempted to say, "If I tell you, will you not watch with us?"

And afterwards, when it was shown that there are situations when you want a couple to break up - such as when she doesn't deserve to be with someone as good as he is - I could have asked, "So you don't like it that he broke up with her?"

Sometimes, something other than what's on the screen can ruin a film for a viewer.

No comments: